Listed below are some of the popular questions tour members are asked on the tour.
- What are the top universities?
- Do universities have a quota for international students?
- Is your university recognized in this country?
- What are the minimum qualifications for admission to your university?
- Can students fax or e-mail their applications?
- What can be done if a student does not get a satisfactory reason for rejection?
- What type of extracurricular activities do universities look for?
- How important are letters of recommendation?
- Should advisers "allow" students to apply to schools they believe are out of the student's range?
International Student Applications
- What happens when an international student application is received at your university?
- What is different about international student applications (from domestic applications)?
- How do admissions officers deal with foreign transcripts?
- How are placement recommendations enveloped?
- Why is an original transcript so important to U.S. universities?
- Should students have their transcripts translated?
- A student has dual citizenship. S/He wants to apply as an American for residency and financial aid considerations. Which application should s/he file? Must s/he still take the TOEFL?
- If a student does not have a TOEFL, GRE, or GMAT score, will their application still be considered?
- Are English proficiency exams used as admission criteria?
- What is a conditional admission? For which students does it work well?
- Can the student sit for exams after the application deadline date?
- Do you require the SAT for international students? For transfer students?
Costs and Financial Assistance
- Are tuition and fees different for international and domestic students?
- Some families do not keep their money in banks. What documentation is adequate to show financial support without bank letters.
- Do you offer financial assistance? What are the requirements?
- How do you help students find financial assistance?
- Is there an advantage to waiting until a student is admitted before asking for financial assistance?
Working and Other Visa Matters
- What kind of jobs can students get and how much do they pay?
- If a student is rejected for a visa, may s/he try again?
Frequently Asked Questions About the Transfer Process
- Can you recommend specific documents an undergraduate can submit to assist in the transfer credit decision-making process?
- What courses in a foreign curriculum generally do not transfer to U.S. universities?
- Why do some universities transfer freshman English and others do not?
- What is the difference between some transfer credit awarded toward a degree and credit awarded toward a major?
- Please give guidelines/criteria for awarding advance standing for "A" levels, Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia (STPM), etc.
- How many credits can a student with a diploma from X college expect to receive?
- Although transfer students only need about two years to complete their bachelor's degree, universities still require four years of financial support during the application process. Why?
- Do you award credit for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and College Level Examination Programs (CLEP) exams? How much?